Katrina Kaif tackles her dubbing woes

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 |

For Katrina Kaif the most difficult part of her job is dubbing. That’s when her linguistic skills are put to test. The actress speaks about some of the dubbing challenges she’s been tackling recently.

In Rajkumar Santoshi’s film Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani , for instance, Katrina plays a catholic girl and one would assume that dubbing for this role wasn’t difficult for the actress since she has a natural Brit accent. But there’s something else that’s been troubling her.

“I play this Catholic Bandra girl who's very dramatic. She's funny to others. But not to herself. So when I cry I have to cry real tears but make sure they come across as funny,” Katrina told IANS in an interview.
But being funny is not coming that easy to Kat.

“First of all the lines are not comic in the dubbing theatre. So I've to recreate the laughter on the sets in a studio without knowing if I am being funny enough,” Katrina is quoted as saying.

Despite this, Kat is not sure if she’s been convincing in her dubbing so far.

“I don't know whether I'm getting it right or not. I'm doing the dubbing under supervision. But this is the most difficult film I've dubbed for,” Kat revealed.

The actress is facing yet another dubbing challenge for director Prakash Jha’s film Rajniti in which she has to speak long dialogues in chaste Hindi. While shooting the scene in Bhopal, Kat memorised her speech and delivered it quite well in front of thousands of people who were part of the shoot. Now, she has to improvise on it further in the dubbing studio.

“The speeches I made have been taped. Now I have to listen to them, get the accent, tone and voice quality right, and dub in a studio,” Kat said.

However, currently she’s on a whirlwind tour across cities in India to promote her upcoming film New York with the film’s cast and director.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Related Posts



0 comments: