Bollywood puts off Neena Gupta

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 |


Tell us about your latest avatar, Shobha Joshi in ‘Ladies Special’.
Shobha is like any other middle-class woman, who does everything according to what her husband and children want. She took up a job just to support her family. As her family has reached a better financial position now, she doesn’t want to work any longer. However, things are going to be different for Shobha now. Lately, her husband has revealed to her about the parallel family he had in Pune. Now, I guess everybody would be curious to know whether she accepts all this, moves out of the house or does something else.

Did you do any homework for this role?
For me, acting means completely understanding the character that you are portraying, listening to the other actor and saying your lines meaningfully. I am a big observer and learn a lot from people around me. To develop Shobha Joshi’s character, I studied women around me carefully. Your body language, the way you dress and talk forms the basis of a character and I worked upon all that.

Do you see your character’s reflection in your life too?
There is nothing much common between Neena and Shobha. Our lives and perspective towards things around us are poles apart.

Apart from yours, which character do you like the most in the show?
All the characters on the show are very well-defined and the actors are giving their 100 percent to it. Apart from bringing in the comic aspect, Bubbly Chaddha has to invoke emotions too, which is not an easy task. Nanda Shinde, mother of a teenaged daughter, is constantly worried about her well-being. She is walking on a thin line as an actor and is not supposed to be over dramatic. I think the producers have chosen the right set of actors for the show.

On television, for the past few years we have been seeing women clad in designer sarees and engaged in kitchen politics all the time. Do you think that image is changing with time now?

I don’t think there is much change. After Saans, Kora Kagaz and Buniyaad, Ladies Special is the only show that show women in a different light. With Ladies Special , we have tried to go beyond the stereotypes. Be it Maayka, Beetiyan or Na Aana Is Des Laado , from cities we have switched to villages, apart from rich families, there is a place for poverty too on television. However, women are still shown in the same disguise.

Are you deliberately keeping away from the silver screen?
Yes, as the roles being offered are a disgrace! There has to be logic in the character that you are playing. I don't want to take up anything blindly.

You have played some really memorable character on screen, which one is the most special?

It can be nothing other than Saans . Apart from acting, I was also the producer and director of the show. It gave me complete freedom over the characters and story. I created amazing moments for the show. All the characters were so nicely etched. People still associate my name with Saans . I am working with the same honesty and dedication for Ladies Special .

Apart from your career, what else keeps you busy?
When I am on the sets, I am very relaxed. Otherwise, there is so much to do in my personal life. I like to help my daughter who has taken up fashion designing. My father is not keeping well so I have to take care of him. I like spending time with my husband too. We try to plan some vacations often to make space for some lighter moments too.

As a viewer, give one reason why one should watch Ladies Special ?
The biggest reason is that I am acting in it. (Laughs) People like only two kinds of shows, one that superficially entertain them and the other ones are with whom they can identify with. Either you are young, middle-aged or old; you will find a character with you will be able to relate to. Ladies Special is set in modern society and all the characters are very close to reality, very close to life.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Related Posts



0 comments: